PowerShell Project Type Wish List

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Now that there is a PowerShell project type in Visual Studio, what do you want to get out of it? Here are some of my ideas. I'd love to here some more!

MSBuild Targets Support and Properties Dialog

Allow for copying scripts and referenced assemblies, create module manifests, sign scripts, or any other packaging related mechanisms. 

Add Reference Dialog Support

Reference other managed project types or assemblies

This would auto-load the output into the PowerShell runspace for the PowerShell project automatically. It could also copy the assembly output into the PowerShell project's output directory.

Reference modules and snap-ins

The dialog could expose functionality that could reference other modules and snapins so they are auto-loaded into the runspace at run time.  

Make it extensible

Allow for more reference types. For example, internet references. With this type of reference you could integrate into PoshCode.org and download and reference scripts directly into projects. I'm thinking NuGet eventually....

What do you want out of the project system?

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I looked at your product a little at work and what I'm about to suggest may already be involved, but I don't recall seeing it.

I think it'd be great if there were project templates for creating cmdlets. You'll probably need two templates, one for Cmdlet and another for PSCmdlet. Things to include in these templates can be the references (at least when they're in their default location) and all the properties needed to provide a name, vendor, description, etc for the cmdlet. Also, witch these projects, it'd be nice if there was a simple menu for registered and unregistering these snap ins.