Fonts, Colors, and Keyboard Options

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Hi, I'm getting started on PowerShell and have done lots of C# programming in VS 2010. I have a ton of options configured in VS 2010, specifically with regard to my fonts, colors and syntax highlighting, and, most importantly, keyboard mappings. I set up a pretty extensive set of keyboard commands (probably 30-40 commands) including some VS macros to use while editing text files.

I wanted to use the PowerGUI extension because I assumed I would automatically get all my customizations while I edit PowerShell files. You can imagine my shock when I opened my first ps1 file in VS and discovered I was completely back to square one on everything!

So, my first question is: is there any way to port over the keyboard customizations I have configured (under "Text Editor" in VS 2010) to editing a .ps1 file, and also my Fonts and Colors?

Second, as a feature request, is there any way to have the PowerGUI extension use all the TextEditor settings rather than having it's own? I could maybe see having its own set of colors for syntax highlighting, but it should start with some intelligent mapping of the current Fonts and Colors. Other than that, I can't see why editing a .ps1 file would need to be any different than editing any other type of source file.

Thanks!
Lyle

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Hi Lyle,

I'm glad you're taking a look at using this extension. As it stands right now there is no way to port settings from Visual Studio into PowerGUI. This extension really just consumes and exposes the PowerGUI editor control directly in Visual Studio. It does not use the editor that other languages in VS utilize. Some substantial work would need to be done to implement this. I would suggest adding an issue so that we can track this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks,

Adam

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:19 AM

Thanks for the update, Adam. PowerGUI looks really nice and I've used it a bit already - it's very well written. I definitely plan to use it while I'm learning PowerShell and for debugging. However, I'll probably uninstall the extension and move back to plain VS 2010 for editing once I'm comfortable with the cmdlets and their options.

Thanks for your response - I'll add an issue to track this.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM
XrstalLens wrote:

Thanks for the update, Adam. PowerGUI looks really nice and I've used it a bit already - it's very well written. I definitely plan to use it while I'm learning PowerShell and for debugging. However, I'll probably uninstall the extension and move back to plain VS 2010 for editing once I'm comfortable with the cmdlets and their options.

Thanks for your response - I'll add an issue to track this.

Just adding a vote for this issue (if I find the issue I'll add a vote there too). Just found this extension and was going to use it in VS2012 but without keyboard mapping I will be unable to 'edit' anything as my fingers are still emacs trained from 20 years ago.

I'll use for debugging as required.