Extension Feedback

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I'd like to hear some feedback about how people are using this extension and any issues that need to be fixed or features you'd like to see. Personally I'm using this extension to test a binary module I'm developing. A limitation I'm currently running into is that when the PowerShell host loads a binary module there is no way to unload it and I cannot redeploy to test a new build of the module. I hope to have this fixed in the next release. More on that later.

My biggest initiative related to this project is getting debugging functional. I'd love to have a fluent debugging interface so that it is possible to jump straight from script into code. This would really help me out. :D

What do you want to see added?

Are you using this to develop your own modules or simply to have a single IDE (ISE) open?

Is the extension stable? 

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Hi Adam,

We use PowerShell a lot. Our complete Software Factory is written in it: http://solutionsfactory.macaw.nl. For years we are thinking about adding PowerShell as what we call a "product dependency" (DotNet2, DotNet3, Silverlight3, Wss3, Moss2007, ...) to Visual Studio. This means having a Visual Studio Solution with Visual Studio projects in it with PowerShell files. With this integration this would be really possible! You can have a Visual Studio project for PowerShell files, including all source control management integrated in Visual Studio (through Ankh for Subversion or TFS; works better than PowerGUI Pro:-)). So it might be nice to provide a Visual Studio project type for PowerShell files. Integrated debugging would be great, but something else could be showing how to use the Visual studio object model from the Editor extensibility... for even nicer integration.

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:09 AM

That is a good idea. It would be really nice to have strictly PowerShell projects. I can definitely see the advantage of that. I will file this off as a feature request and it will be next on my list after debugger support.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM
svdoever wrote:

"...including all source control management integrated in Visual Studio (through Ankh for Subversion or TFS; works better than PowerGUI Pro:-))."

Svdoever, can you please expand on this statement?  At the same time as you're looking for additional functionality in PowerGUI VSX, I'd like to get your direct feedback on the source control integration in PowerGUI Pro.  If you could share more detailed feedback on what you think of the source control feature in PowerGUI Pro, I'd appreciate it.  Direct email me if you prefer at Poshoholic <at> either hotmail <dot> comor gmail <dot> com.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Here are a few things that I can't get to work:

• Search/replace
  • Show whitespace
  • Show line numbers
  • Replace tabs with spaces
  • Configure number of spaces per tab

These are basic functionality available in all the standard editors and it's missing from this extension. I can live without some of these but missing search/replace feature is getting to be deal breaker for me. :(

I would love to see support added to collapse sections of powershell scripts. Perhaps even recognize #region and #endregion like in C# to collapse large blocks of code in addition to collapsing blocks, functions, parameter sets, multi-line array definitions, etc.

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Search and replace should be fixed in the next version so you're in luck! I'll look into adding some of these other features as well. The editing capabilities are directly dependent on the PowerGUI editor so I wouldn't extend it beyond what PowerGUI already does. Thanks for the feedback.
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:12 PM
We do a lot of fairly intense Powershell things, working with AD Services, custom web services, ADAM/LDAP, and Log4Net (We basically use Powershell as a replacement for Perl/C# compiled code). The biggest wins for us having this plug in to VS is it gets us native integration to our TFS environment, as well as moving Powershell dev work into Visual Studio. (Intellisence WOOT!) One thing that would be nice, though I don't know about the difficulty, is to pick up intellisence on home-grown functions. We document our functions such that we can get-help on them. Line number would be nice as well
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I've never used PowerGUI.  I just installed PowerGUI 2.3.0.1503 and then PowerGUIVsx.  I created a new C# class library project but there is no way to add a PowerGUI file.  If I create a new PowerGUI file and add it to the project, I cannot set breakpoints.  Advice?

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Are you seeing any IntelliSense or syntax highlighting? The file template will be called "PowerShell Script" when you add a new item. When you say "PowerGUI" file are you referring to a PS1 file? 

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Hi Adam,

I have just installed the PowerShell extension to test its functionality. It looks like it has some interesting features. However I am having some problems trying to debug my current scripts. We have a number of scripts that have been mainly developed using the standard windows PowerShell editor. These scripts call other ps1 and psm1 files.

When I open them in Visual Studio and press shift F5 to run the first script I seem to be able to debug that script but if I have a breakpoint on the next script that runs it does not seem to break or run the rest of the script. I would be very grateful if you could let me know if there is something else I need to do to debug multiple scripts?

I also tried to create a new project but I could not find the PowerShell script template. Should this have been installed with the extension or do I need to download it from somewhere else?

Regards,

Caroline

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Hi Caroline,

Sorry for the delayed response. It looks like there may be a bug. It should work as you are using it. Try giving the beta a shot to see if it corrects anything. You will need to use the newest version of PowerGUI (2.3). As for the PowerShell script template, there appears to be an issue with the VSX that is posted to the Code Gallery. I would again suggest trying the beta to see if this corrects this as well.

Thanks,

Adam

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Hi, I'm using the extension with the lastest version of PowerGUI (2.4.0.1659). Unfortunately it's not working in Visual Studio 2010 - powershell scripts are being opened as text files after an error saying something about an internal error when loading the VSIX package. Is the current release compatible with v2.4 of PowerGUI?

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Hi,

Yes it should work with that version. You could try grabbing a log to see if it gives you any useful info into why it crashed. If you shoot it my way I can take a look at it as well.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Seems like Find and Replace is still very bugged which makes this a good as unusable in Visual Studio. Sorry - almost fantastic.