Hosting PowerGui itself within Visual Studio?

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Any chance you could manage to host PowerGui itself within Visual Studio as well? Would be great for an interface that goes beyond the solution level, so the possibility to give an overview in PowerGui for your complete product consisting of multiple Visual Studio solutions, xml files etc, and be able to open solutions from a PowerGui interface.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM

It would be possible to create a custom solution browser using the new PowerGUI SDK.  It would also be possible to host the entire PowerGUI window within Visual Studio. Although I'd like to achieve a bit more stability and implement script debugging first this could be something to consider in th future.

As it stands right now it would be a considerable amount of work that I won't have much time for in the near future.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:32 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Thanks Adam, I looked into the SDK, there is nothing there with respect to PowerGUI itself. Its only about the editor extensibility. Any ideas on how to do the hosting within VS? Would it be possible to "embed" the PowerGUI app in a toolwindow?

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM
You could probably embed the window in quite easily. Tool windows are simply a WPF control with access to all the Visual Studio Services and DTE. You could grab the PowerGUI assemblies and dig out the proper control to get it loaded into the window.